Victor Valdes – Latin Harp and Mariachi Band
Born the 10th of August 1966 in Veracruz, Mexico. Started in music and dance in 1975. For three years in a row 1976 -1978, he won 1st place in the National Folklore Dance Competition in Mexico City. His talents as a dancer were recognised as Assistant Director of Folklore Ballet for the Secretary of Public Education in Veracruz Mexico in 1981.
He was a member of the best and highly acclaimed Mexican Folk group of Veracruz Mexico; for ten years, from 1987 -1997 (Named best folk group in Mexico by the union of music and theatre critics). With this professional group
Victor gave many concerts and performances in respected halls and theatres. Including over 20 performances in the Sydney Opera House between 1992 & 1997. Victor Valdes choose Australia and the city of Sydney as his home town and moved to Sydney in 1998. In the same year he started teaching Latin dance at the Sydney Dance Company for four years.
In 1998 he found the first traditional Mariachi band in Australia and he named Victor Valdes and His Real Mexico Mariachi Band.
As a solo harpist he has given concerts in over 25 countries of 4 continents around the world.
VICTOR VALDES recent featured performances include
- 2016 Art Gallery of New South Wales Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera Exhibition,
- 2015 Inland Sea of Sounds Festival – Bathurst,
- 2015 Fairfield City Culinary Carnivale – Sydney,
- 2015 Parramasala Festival – Sydney,
- 2015 Jimmy Barnes’ Flesh and Wood Tour – State Theatre Sydney,
- 2015 Emerald Ball “Victor Valdes’ Mariachi” performing with Jimmy Barnes a Mariachi version of his classics,
- 2014 Tanks Arts Centre – World Music Series Cairns QLD,
- 2014 “The Man” Aloe Blacc Ft Victor Valdes @ Today Show,
- 2014 Darling Harbour Fiesta Festival – Sydney NSW,
- 2014 Parramasala Festival – Parramatta NSW.